Saturday, May 12, 2012

Grandma G's Potato Salad...no pickles and mustard here!

My husband's Italian Grandmother has passed down this yummy non-traditional potato salad recipe.  No mustard and no pickles like I grew up with in the midwest will be found in this salad.  I've never seen a potato salad like this one shared so I'll let you in on the family's secret recipe. I think my mother-in-law makes with a few different ingredients..like Imo brand immitation sour cream...but I wasn't able to find that where I live so I've always used the real thing.

Here are the main players...


I have larger ingredients amount in pic due to make a big batch for a picnic, but you get the idea! ;)

5lbs boiled potatoes, cut into bite size chunks
 4-5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 can black olives, sliced or chopped
1 small white onion
1 cup celery
8 oz mayo
8 oz sour cream
1/4 cup white wine vinegar (this will depend on taste, start with less if you aren't sure)
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp pepper or to taste
1 TBLS parsley flakes

mix sour cream, mayo, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, parsley flakes...much of this is taste as I go, adjusting here and there.


Mix together the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion and olives.  Then add the dressing and mix it all together.


 And there you have it!  Grandma G's potato salad.  Keep in mind this recipe was never actually written down before.  The amounts listed are just approximations as I tried to pay attention while I threw it together.  I personally think it's much better when a person tweaks a recipe to suit their tastes and I encourage you to fearlessly do the same.  I hope you try this non-traditional potato salad and it becomes a favorite in your house as it in ours! ♥


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment